A New Beginning


Going back to Africa has been a dream of mine since I went for my first time in 2013. I went to South Africa, Swaziland, and Mozambique and swore I would return back to the beautiful continent of Africa again one day.

Fast Forward to May 19, 2018 and my feet again step on a continent that changed my life the first time. This time though, after arriving in Dar Es Salam, Tanzania, I knew that my time here would be short. May 23, 2018 - I depart back to Canada only a few days after my arrival. Initially, I thought I would be letting many individuals down who have always been supportive of my dreams; but I have made a choice to return home from the EQWIP HUBs project in Tanzania to return home to be with my wife and family.

I got married two years ago as of May 21, 2018 and I never realized how much my life has changed over these couple years. Some may say marriage in the 21st century never lasts, but I have committed my being to supporting, loving and encouraging my wife. I have come a long way to find this out, but I would not change it for anything. My dream of coming back to Africa is still alive, but next time, my wife will be by my side as we work to impact the world. This is our goal and I will never stop trying to achieve that.

Very often in my life I have let others dictate my feelings. I have let others judge me, make fun of me and misunderstand me. However, I recently came across a quote.

Let them judge you, let them misunderstand you, let them gossip about you. Their opinions aren’t your problem. You stay kind, committed to love, and free in your authenticity. No matter what they do or say, don’t you dare doubt your worth or the beauty of your truth. Just keep on shining like you do.
I know that returning home after less than a week into a 90-day trip will raise eyebrows and will be subject to negative thoughts: what a waste of money, what a waste of time, he is weak, etc., etc… Thankfully, I know what I experienced in Tanzania, and I will tell you this. Our material possessions do not matter. Life is about happiness, laughter, friends, family, and most importantly, love. I have seen young mothers and their infant children begging for money so they can feed their children; I have seen young girls sleeping on cardboard in the heat of the day; but I have also seen people struggling to get by with bigger smiles on their faces then one may ever see in Canada or the US.

Coming here has taught me that I can do hard things. Too many times in my life I have withdrawn into myself and hurt myself mentally and emotionally. Not anymore though because I know there are people in the world who will support my choices whole-heartedly. These are the type of people I met at EQWIP HUBs. They have been generous, loving, and have helped all the volunteers who arrived with me begin to get accustomed to life here. This is not easy, and I respect the volunteers whom are staying very much. I will strive to remain in contact with them as I feel they have accepted me into their family.

To the people of Tanzania, what can I say? Asante Sana (Thank you very much). The people have taught me how to be grateful and how to push myself. No one wants to see some of the poverty I have been exposed to, but this is life in Africa. They do it their way and they have the right to do so. Whether they struggle or thrive, I know that there is a deep African character within these people that shines through no matter what. I respect each person here and there circumstances. I never came here to tell anyone how they should live. I came here to learn, to grow, to experience new things, and to have one heck of an adventure…. Well, mission accomplished. Thank you Tanzania, thank you EQWIP HUBs and thank you to my family.

Upon my arrival back home, I don’t know what to expect. I do know though that if you do not support me for me, or if you don’t agree with the decisions I have made in my life, I can tell you that I want no part of you. Things change in life and they will always continue to change. I will be true to my authenticity and begin to appreciate myself. I no longer think I am weak—because I know I am strong beyond measure. I made it this far and I am beyond proud of myself… So to finish, I say, Kwa heri (good-bye).

Comments

Popular Posts